Become a Certified Children's Yoga Teacher
Yoga to Grow Teacher Training: Foundations of Teaching Yoga to Children
October 6-10, 2014
Jewish Community Center, St Louis, MO
The YTG Children's Yoga Teacher Certification is designed for any yoga practitioner who wants to share their passion for yoga with children. This certification program will provide you with the knowledge, tools and experience to begin teaching children in your classroom, yoga studio or community setting. The training will provide a foundation in teaching a YTG class that is fun, creative, imaginative and child-focused. The foundation of the YTG philosophy is that children are capable of learning what their body needs. This focus leads us to begin each class with a co-creation time in which children choose poses that will be incorporated into the class. This co-creation strengthens body awareness, builds confidence and enhances self-esteem. The training will cover each component of a YTG class: Warm Up, Co-Creation, Pranayama (breathing), Sun Salutations, Posture Sequence, Relaxation and Guided Meditation.
"When I'm at home and I need to breathe, I do Breath of Joy."
—Avery, age 9
This 35 hour Foundations Training is focused on teaching children ages 3-11 and is appropriate for those looking to bring yoga into their current work with children or those interested in teaching yoga to children as a career. This enjoyable and engaging training will deepen your own practice and knowledge of yoga in addition to providing an integral foundation in understanding child development and how yoga promotes the growth and development of each child.
"When you leave a yoga class you just feel better than you did when you came in."
—Katie, age 10
The Foundations Training provides hands-on experience teaching yoga to children and operating a children's yoga program. Participants will lead poses and games with the training group during posture clinics to gain confidence and experience. In addition, participants will observe a YTG class and work in groups to teach a 45 minute YTG class to a group of children. This applied experience is an important part of developing well-prepared and confident Certified Yoga to Grow Teachers.
Teacher Training Schedule:
Foundations of Teaching Yoga to Children is a five day intensive offering which includes 35 contact hours of teaching. Registration and check in will take place Monday from 9:00-9:30am. Training will be held Monday - Thursday 9:00am-5:30pm and Friday 9:00am-3:00pm. Attendance at all sessions is required for certification. We will break for lunch from Noon-1:00 each day.
Teacher Training Location:
Jewish Community Center
Staenberg Family Complex in Creve Coeur Area
2 Millstone Campus Drive
St. Louis, MO 63146
$695 plus tax which includes 35 contact hours and YTG Manual, use of the YTG Logo, and listing on the YTG Website. Early Registration Rate is $645.
Children's Yoga Teacher Training Requirements:
YTG Teacher Certification Program is open to yoga teachers, yoga students, teachers, family counselors, social workers, therapists, preschool teachers and other professionals who work with children. Certification will be granted upon the completion of the 35 hour YTG Teacher Certification Program and the completion of 3 practice classes and self-evaluations. All Certified Yoga to Grow Teachers will be included on the YTG website.
Training details and schedule will be provided upon registration along with the resource list of required reading.
Becoming a Registered Children's Yoga Teacher: 95 Hour Training
Foundations of Teaching Yoga to Children is part of the Yoga to Grow 95 Hour Registered Children's Yoga Teacher Training. Upon successful completion participants may choose to attend Advanced Methods of Teaching Yoga to Children (28 Hour Training) and Teaching Children's Yoga: Application and Practicum (24 Hour Training). Upon completion of training, coursework and additional observation and teaching (7-10 hours) participants will become Registered Yoga to Grow Teachers. Those who have completed a 200 Hour Teacher Training and hold RYT credentials from Yoga Alliance can then gain creditials as a Registered Children's Yoga Teacher through Yoga Alliance. It is not necessary for participants to register in all levels of training to attend the Foundations Training to become certified to teach Yoga to Grow Children's Yoga.
The 95 Hour Teacher Training will include the following requirements and meet the Yoga Alliance standards in the following areas of Teaching Yoga to Children:
General Background in the Specialty Area (Children's Yoga) including : 12 hours
Techniques, Training and Practice in Teaching Yoga to Children: 20 hours
Teaching Methodology: 15 hours
Anatomy and Physiology: 10 hours
Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Children’s Yoga Teachers: 12 hours
Practicum: 18 hours
Note: Due to the status of the changes at Yoga Alliance, Yoga to Grow's application as a RCYS (Registered Children's Yoga School) is pending. We anticipate for the process to be complete by July 31, 2014 as changes in the system at Yoga Alliance allow them to process new school applications.
Additional Training Dates:
Advanced Methods of Teaching Yoga to Children (29 Hour Training) Tuition $625
January 9-12, 2015 (Tenative Date) in Columbia, MO
Teaching Children's Yoga: Application and Practicum (24 Hour Training) Tuition $525
May 3-6, 2015 (Tenative Date) in Columbia, MO
Contact Susan directly with our contact form or 573-864-4132
Foundations of Teaching Yoga to Children will cover:
- Breathing (pranayama) Practice for Children
- Yoga Poses for Children
- Co-creating with Children
- Child Development of Children 3-11
- Foundations for Teaching Kids
- Introduction to Yoga Philosophy
- Yamas and Niyamas
- YTG Sun Salutations for Kids
- Yoga Games
- YTG Core Class Components
- Planning and Preparing to Teach
- Yoga Practice to Strengthen your Knowledge and Experience
- Yoga Music and Songs
- Teaching Yoga with Books and Storytelling
- Posture and Teaching Clinics
- Partner Yoga
- Observation of a YTG class
- Practice Teach of a Children's Class
- Ideas and Resources for Marketing
- Practice and Experience Leading Guided Meditation
- Meditation and Mindfulness Practices with Children
- Adapting your Class for Different Age Groups
- YTG Lesson Plans and Class Sequences
- Behavior Management
- Graduation as a Certified Yoga to Grow Teacher
Advanced Methods of Teaching Yoga to Children will cover:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Physical Development of Children
- The Subtle Body
- Exploring and Teaching the Chakras
- Developmentally Appropriate Practice: Asana and Assists
- Teaching and Working with Teens
- Ethical Touch
- Qualities of Effective Teaching
- Developing Effective Lesson Plans
- Teaching Asana--Building Your Teaching Repertoire
- Posture Clinics
- Practice Teach Experience
- Building Your Strengths and Potential Improvment Points as a Teacher
- Homework and Teaching will be required after completion of Foundations and before Advanced Methods is taken
- Graduation as an Advanced Yoga to Grow Teacher
Teaching Children's Yoga: Application and Practicum will cover:
- Effective Communication with Children
- Refining Teaching Vocabulary
- Typical and Atypical Motor Development and Movement
- Asana--Benefits and Contraindications
- Understanding Sensory Processing in Children
- Yoga for the Classroom (Introduction)
- Effective Communication and Partnering with Parents
- Family Yoga
- Introduction to Teaching Toddlers
- Yamas and Niyamas of Teaching
- Posture Clinics
- Restorative Yoga for Children
- Developing Yoga Workshops, Yoga Camp and Specialized Classes for Kids
- Marketing Your Teaching Skills and Program
- Practice Teach
- Class Observation
- One on One Coaching with Susan Mathis
- Graduation as a Registered Yoga to Grow Teacher!
Before enrolling in this training teachers will be required to complete 20 hours of teaching yoga to children as well as outside reading and homework assignments.
What barks in Downward Facing Dog, meows in Cat Pose and moves nutrients through the earth in Worm Pose? A YogaKid, of course! Read more »